A remodeled kitchen is one of the best investments homeowners can make, adding up to $20,000 to total home resale value. It is also a great way to get a beautiful kitchen that will bring better flow to the space, make it a great gathering place for family and friends, and add to its functionality. A kitchen that functions well will add years of enjoyment to family life.
Benefits of Kitchen Remodeling
- Saving money in the long term. Older kitchens often have inefficient fixtures, appliances, and lighting, causing the homeowner to overpay for necessities such as water and power. New money-saving appliances and lighting impact the budget over time.
- Returning a high investment to the homeowner. A kitchen remodel often recoups the cost of remodeling when it comes time to sell.
- Reselling a home faster. A comfortable and attractive updated kitchen will appeal to home buyers.
- Selling for a higher price. Buyers are willing to pay higher prices for homes with up-to-date, beautiful kitchens.
- Saving time when preparing meals. Increased efficiency is a benefit of a more functional kitchen.
- Adding increased storage space. Remodeling can add more cabinet and pantry space by changing the kitchen layout or extending cabinets to the ceiling. Cabinets can be constructed with pull-out shelves to make them more convenient to use. Spice racks and dividers can be added during the remodel.
- Eliminating unnecessary elements. An example would be eliminating a wall oven and separate stove top, combining them into a new, more efficient slide-in or built-in stove and oven.
- Making the kitchen safer. Older kitchens may have health hazards such as unsafe wiring, slippery floors, or mold and mildew. A professional remodeler can implement options for fixing these hazards.
- Getting the desired kitchen style. Remodeling gives the homeowner the opportunity to create exactly the style, look, and floorplan desired.
What’s Involved in Kitchen Remodeling?
The most important part of a kitchen remodel is being able to design the space to add function and style. It will probably involve changing the flow of the kitchen space to better suit the needs of the family. Moving cabinets and appliances to a better location will make it easier to use the kitchen. Adding cabinets in new locations may enable homeowners to include new options such as a corner lazy Susan cabinet or narrower cabinets to hold trays and baking sheets.
New cabinets add value, beauty, and diversity to your kitchen. New cabinets can expand storage space as well. Professional remodelers can recommend high-quality cabinets to replace old, outdated, or poor-quality cabinets. Professionals have access to many cabinet manufacturers and can help homeowners select the best cabinets to fit their needs and lifestyles. They can guide homeowners through the process of choosing the perfect style, whether it be a traditional, farmhouse, contemporary, industrial, or other choice. Professional remodelers can show the homeowner various colors, materials, and finishes. They can also help the homeowner navigate through the myriad choices. A homeowner might want open shelving, floating shelves, or glass doors on upper cabinets. Any style the homeowner desires can be accomplished with the expertise of professional kitchen remodelers. The design team can help create the best layout of cabinets for maximum efficiency and aesthetics.
The hardware chosen to complement new cabinets is another important consideration. Many styles and sizes are available. Professional remodelers can suggest the best hardware for the style and color of cabinets chosen to create the look desired by the homeowner.
An important part of a kitchen remodeling project is adding updated, efficient appliances. A variety of styles are available. Popular now are stainless steel, smudge-proof stainless steel, and black stainless steel, as they coordinate with a wide variety of cabinet styles and colors. New energy-efficient dishwashers save water and electricity. Energy-efficient refrigerators come in a variety of styles. One- or two-door refrigerators with ice makers and water on the door, extra drawers, door-in-door styles, and “smart” refrigerators with built-in Wi-Fi are quite popular. Professionals can recommend the best style and size to fit in a newly remodeled kitchen. Another choice is between gas and electric stoves, whether slide-in or built-in. A stylish stove vent will add beauty as well as functionality to a remodeled kitchen. Microwave ovens can also be built in during a kitchen remodel, saving counter space. Built-in wine coolers can be a nice addition.
There are many countertop materials and styles from which to choose to complement new cabinets and appliances:
- Granite is a natural stone with outstanding strength and is one of the most elegant available. Granite countertops come in a wide variety of colors and grains.
- Quartz countertops are engineered stone, differentiating them from natural stone. Most are made from a high concentration of quartz crystals.
- Laminate countertops are affordable and come in a wide range of colors and patterns.
- Concrete countertops are one of the newest options and are quite popular now.
- Recycled glass countertops and those made from other types of glass can be a good choice.
- Butcher block and other wood countertops remain a popular choice in kitchens, as they are excellent for food preparation.
- Marble countertops are a beautiful addition for a kitchen and are one of the most elegant materials homeowners could choose.
- Tile countertops are being produced using ceramic tile, glass tile, and porcelain tile.
- Eco-friendly countertops, such as reclaimed wood, are popular because they are good for the environment and come in myriad choices.
- Lava countertops are beautiful and functional and have all the top characteristics homeowners look for in kitchen remodeling.
- Resin solid surface countertops offer a lot in the way of beauty and durability.
- Stainless steel countertops combine elegant beauty with outstanding practical benefits.
Professionals Are Key to Great Kitchen Remodels
A professional remodeler can guide the homeowner through the many kitchen options available. The pro will know what will work in the designated space and what new materials and designs can bring lasting value to a home. Homeowners may contact a local kitchen and bath center for professional guidance, design options, and installation for a beautifully remodeled kitchen.